Selly Oak Nursery School is committed to the highest standards in protecting and safeguarding the children entrusted to our care.
Our school will support all children by:
- Promoting a caring, safe and positive environment within the school
- Encouraging self-esteem and self-assertiveness
- Effectively tackling bullying and harassment
We recognise that some children may be the victims of neglect, physical, sexual or emotional abuse. Staff working with children are well placed to identify such abuse.
At Selly Oak Nursery School in order to protect our children, we aim to:
- Create an atmosphere where all our children can feel secure, valued and listened to
- Recognise signs and symptoms of abuse
- Respond quickly, appropriately and effectively to cases of suspected abuse
If you have a concern that a child is being harmed, is at risk of harm, or you receive a disclosure (intentionally or unintentionally) you must contact the following staff member as quickly as possible.
Everyone working with our children their parents and carers should be aware that:
- Their role is to listen and note carefully any observations which could indicate abuse.
- They should not attempt to investigate once the initial concern is raised
- They should involve the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) immediately
- If the DSL is not available the Head or the Deputy DSL should be contacted.
- Disclosures of abuse or harm from children may be made at any time.
If you have any concerns regarding a child’s safety/wellbeing please contact the Designated Senior Lead for Safeguarding. If a child discloses any information report it to the DSL and make a record using the ‘Record of Concern’ forms.
If you have a child safeguarding concern and would like to speak to the agency directly then contact CASS on 0121 303 1888
If you have a concern about a member of Staff/Head Teacher/Governor and you are unable to speak to the Head Teacher contact the LADO team on 0121 464 2612 OR 0121 675 1669
Designated Safeguarding Leads
The following staff in school are trained designated safeguarding leads:
Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board
The Birmingham Safeguarding Children Board has a statutory duty to co-ordinate how agencies work together to safeguard and promote the well being of children and young people in Birmingham and to ensure the effectiveness of the safeguarding arrangements.