Test and Trace Support details

Parents and carers of children who have been advised to self-isolate by their education setting or by NHS Test and Trace are now able to apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment or discretionary payment of £500, if they meet the eligibility criteria.  

The extension of the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme, which is administered by district and unitary local authorities in England, ensures that parents receive the financial support they need if they are unable to attend work due to childcare responsibilities. 

Parents and carers should apply to Birmingham City Council to receive a payment. Applications for the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme are made via the local authority in which the parent or carer resides, not the local authority where the setting is situated, if these are different.

To be eligible applicants must meet all of the criteria that: 

  • they are the parent or guardian of a child or young person in the same household and need to take time off work to care for them while they self-isolate. This is limited to one parent or guardian per household for the child or young person’s self-isolation period 
  • they are employed or self-employed 
  • they cannot work from home while undertaking caring responsibilities and will lose income as a result 
  • they meet all the other means-tested eligibility criteria for a Test and Trace Support Payment or locally determined criteria for a discretionary payment 


That their child or young person: 

  • is aged 15 or under (or 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and normally attends an education or childcare setting 
  • has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or by their education or childcare setting because they have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) 


Once an application for a payment has been received, the local authority will be in touch with your setting to verify the details of the child provided on the application. This will include a check of the child’s name, age, address and days of self-isolation. 

How to apply 

In England, the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme is administered by unitary authorities and district councils. 

If you think you meet the eligibility criteria for either the Test and Trace Support Payment or a discretionary payment, you apply through Birmingham City Council by visiting:  



You can claim up to 42 days after the first day of your self-isolation period. 

For the application, you will need to provide the following: 

  • an NHS Test and Trace Account ID, sometimes referred to as a CTAS number. If you test positive for COVID-19, or are told to self-isolate by contact tracers, you will be provided with an NHS Test and Trace Account ID 
  • proof that you receive of one of the qualifying benefits 
  • a bank statement 
  • proof of employment or, if you’re self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services that cannot be undertaken without social contact 

    If you’re applying because you’re a parent or guardian who needs to care for a child who is self-isolating, you will also need to provide your child’s NHS Test and Trace Account ID or a communication from their education or childcare setting telling them to self-isolate. 

    If the NHS COVID-19 app has told you to self-isolate because you’ve been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, you will need to follow some additional steps to request your NHS Test and Trace Account ID.