Special Educational

Needs and Disabilities

What can I expect of Selly Oak Nursery School if my child has Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?

•Open and honest communication

•A partnership approach

•Appropriate and effective teaching and learning

Birmingham Local Offer Website

Birmingham City Council have launched the Birmingham Local Offer website. It includes information about the wide range of services that are available to support all areas of a child's life (0-25 years) especially those with a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND). This includes support with education, physical and mental health, social care, leisure activities and moving towards independence and adulthood.

Birmingham's website gives information about the support that the local authority expects to be available across education, health and social care. The information on the website is clear and easy to find. It says who a particular service is for, how to apply, and how decisions are made about who gets that service.

The Local Offer Website provides information about:

  • Sources of support, advice and information for children, young people and families including support groups and forums.

  • Special educational, health and social care provision for children and young people with SEN or disabilities

  • Arrangements to identify and assess children and young people with SEN, including how an assessment can be requested.

  • Other educational provision, for example leisure activities, sports or arts provision,

  • Information about provision to assist in preparing children and young people for adulthood including post-16 education and training provision

  • Arrangements for travel to and from schools, post-16 institutions and early years providers

  • Childcare, including suitable provision for disabled children and those with SEND

  • Support available to young people in higher education, particularly the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) and the process and timescales for making an application for DSA

  • Arrangements for resolving disagreements and for mediation, and details about making complaints.


Governor Reports